Makura farm – an organic paradise
|Makura Farm is located in the heart of an extinct volcano in the Carmel Mountains in Northern Israel. In this magic valley, hidden from sight, our precious olive groves have been growing for thousands of years, possibly dating back to the Roman era.
Our farm specialises in organic farming, with vineyards and orchards of olives, lychees, citrus and avocados. Our organic techniques rely on compost as a substitute for chemical fertilizers, and biological pest control methods, deploying insects that are effective against pests.
At Makura Farm, we manage the entire olive oil production process, all the way from the tree to the press! We grow the olives, decide on the optimum time to harvest them, and extract their oil on the same day that they are harvested. Our olive oil is produced using cold-press methods that preserve its quality, its taste and its health benefits.
We produce oil from 6 different olive cultivars:
• Souri - the local variety with dominant aroma and fruitiness
• Coratina - a variety originally from Southern Italy with a dominant aroma
• Kalamata - a variety originally from Greece, with a subtle flavour and light fruitiness
• Koroneiki - a variety originally from Greece, with a subtle and leafy flavour
• Arbequina - a variety originally from Catalonia, with a subtle aroma
• Leccino - a variety originally from Tuscany, with a gentle aroma and fruitiness.
All our products are certified organic according to Israel, EU and USDA organic regulations.